Democrat Ken Magee was born in Ann Arbor, and raised right here in Washtenaw County. Ken is a highly educated (possessing a Master's Degree in Police Administration) and decorated law enforcement officer running for Washtenaw County Sheriff.
Raised in Ann Arbor, Ken's mother Bettie Magee was a well known Democrat and extremely prolific social justice warrior and advocate. Ken has combined the lessons learned from this mother's progressive views, and his own experiences in law enforcement to create one of the most successful careers in worldwide law enforcement.
Over the course of his 30+ year-long career in law enforcement, serving numerous policing assignments around the globe, Ken has seen it all. From serving in Bogota, Colombia on the team hunting Pablo Escobar, to his time as an undercover agent leading to the largest cocaine seizure in the history of Michigan, from surviving terrorist attacks, to capturing an FBI Top 10 fugitive, from arresting corrupt police officers, to organizing diverse coalitions of community members dedicated to fighting crime, Ken's experience have resulted in a comprehensive understanding of public safety. Throughout Ken's many assignments, he has obtained vast experience supervising, managing, and leading organizations at both the street and executive level.
1. Is a vegetarian
2. Has written four books.
3. Still owns the first car he bought in 1978
4. Is a fluent Spanish speaker
5. Almost flunked high school Spanish
6. Is a 4th degree black belt and has taught 100's of children martial arts
7. Attended Ann Arbor Public Schools, Angell, Tappan and Huron
8. Is the 3rd of 4 boys in his family, his mother was a social worker and father a doctor
9. Has a Masters Degree in Police Administration
10. Graduated first in his class in college
11. Has a metal plate in his leg
12. Lost a brother to a heroin overdose
13. Participated as a dancer in the local Chad Tough "Dancing with the Stars" event
14. Honors a Military Veteran at every home Michigan Football game
15. Has a TikTok page titled "thedeaguy"
1. Ken has 33 years of investigative, management, administration and executive leadership in law enforcement
2. Ken has 17 years of demonstrated management and executive leadership
3. Master's/Bachelors' Degrees In Criminal Justice and Police Administration (High Honors) graduated 1st in class at Michigan State University
4. Chief of Police that oversaw the national law enforcement agency accreditation process
5. Oversaw operations of 011 Emergency Communications Center
6. Successfully managed and administrated multi million dollar budgets
7. Coordinated complex domestic/international law enforcement operations
8. Key participant in the historical Pablo Escobar investigation
9. Arrested corrupt police officer and FBI Top Ten Fugitive Armando Garcia
10. Coordinated the security and protection for President Barack Obama
11. Survived the Olympic Park bombing attack and testified against Terrorist Eric Rudolf
12. Has received awards for his work in diversity, equity and inclusion
13. Serves/Served on numerous non-profit community boards
14. Consultant to numerous news media outlets and advisor to communities on crime prevention strategies
15. Has received over 100 awards, honors, commendations and letters of appreciation from various agencies and governments
Over Ken Magee's 30+ year career in law enforcement, he has accumulated dozens of distinguished awards, arrested some of the world's most notorious criminals, and created interagency collaborations. Below are some highlights of Ken's illustrious career.
Flag flown over U.S. Capitol Building honoring Ken Magee as an American Hero for his work with Congressional Representatives to combat Methamphetamine.
Presented by Oregon U.S. Attorney demonstrating Ken's ability to work with various government agencies to problem solve and create solutions.
Ken has been featured in publications and news outlets, books and movies, and in the film industry. His credits range from the Ann Arbor News to CNN, A&E and the Discovery Channel, and others all while being recognized world-wide for his volunteer efforts to fight crime and enhance community relations. Please take some time to peruse some of highlights of Ken's career in the media and the experience that he will bring to Washtenaw County.